Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wednesday

So other than the total 'wait, what' moment today and getting off work a half an hour early, it wasn't that bad at all. I did take notes and I had plenty of time to do so, seeing as we were a normal typical Wednesday afternoon...

Let's start. I get there at 10. I do all opening duties, which takes me about 20 minutes or so tops. We open at 11. So I scrub down all the table clothes extra well and clean the bathrooms too. Just to appear busy.

I get a feeling that this is going to be a 'bone' day. Gentleman told me when he hired me that there are bone days, and meat days. Everyone wants the meat days, but you have to take the bone days too. So I sit and start to clean our menus.

We open at 11. At 11:45 our first table arrives and they sit... and sit... and sit... and don't order anything other than their drinks. So at 12:10 they finally order and I get their salads and bread out to them in a few minutes. In the meantime, I have gotten a few other tables. (These guys don't see the 'please wait to be seated' sign and seat themselves... another irk.)

Our lunch rush today consisted of the following: From 12:15 to about 2.

3 Top
3 Top
2 Top
1 Top
2 Top
3 Top
1 Top
1 Take-Out

You are reading that correctly. The first 3 top was three businessmen, and I know this because after they ate, they sat there... until 2. Let them camp. I mean, I have twenty five tables plus a full bar in this place, if they want to sit and yammer on about the stars and the moon and the stock market, let them.

But as for their 9% tip? They can have that back. Obviously they need their 1.25 more than I do. Thanks. I got a 1.25 from two of them and a whole dollar from the third. They sat there, breathing my air, drinking my water and using up one of my tables (a prime table that seems to be a favorite of regulars, no less!)

After the rush I did dishes and cleaned the walls down and swept and mopped and all the other fun things that I get to do when we're dead as a doornail.

Three o'clock a two top come in. I just want to say thank you. This couple made my day so much better. They interrupted the de-greasing, which is hard on my hands... and they left me 13 and some change on a 37 dollar bill!

That was my last table of the entire day. Yes. This is a normal day for me.

Sometimes it's boring like this, other times I get my ass handed to me. The one good thing is that on Friday and Saturday we close at 9:30. This means I get out of work AT 9:30 on Friday and Saturday nights. Whooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment